Friday 9 October 2009

no pixies / no cassettes

My favorite format for purchasing music over the years has to be the HUMBLE cassette. I know most people laugh at this, but I SIMPLY laugh at the people laughing for not seeing the beauty I see in the TAPE.
I have tons of tapes at home ranging from major label signings Jane's Addiction, Primus, and Danzig in the early 90's, to underground home made noise tapes by people like Aaron Dilloway , Hair Police and Wolf Eyes. My pride and joy has to be my PRURIENT & BURNING STAR CORE 10 tape box set called "Ghosts of Niagra" limited to 100 copies.
As much as i LOVE cassettes, later on today i will be going to SHOP 14 Truman Brewery (just off Brick Lane in London) where my friends Jules and Monique work.. Monique has managed to get a copy of the latest SAN FRAN FG bike film ironically called "NO CASSETTES" .
I'm gonna be borrowing it off her with a view to screen it at the next "NO GEARS" bike night if i can get a license on it... I've already watched the 7 min sample film. Check it out http://vimeo.com/6236027 looks amazing..
I'd kill to goto San Fran and ride my bike over there in the beautiful dry weather.

Later this evening a lot of my old friends from Bristol and both my sisters are going to Brixton Academy to see the PIXIES... I like the Pixies but never really loved them and always preferred bands like Dinosaur Jr and Lemonheads from the same era.
Anyway people seem to worship the ground they walk on and good on the Pixies for earning a few nuggets after all this time.. I however wont be in Brixton tonite but will be in the South Bank Centre (Queen Elizabeth Hall) to see one of the greatest EVER bands from Norway. The mighty ULVER make their UK debut tonight after being around for 20 years.. ULVER (Norwegian for Wolves) were one of the original Black Metal bands that inspired literally 100's of bands from all over the world.
Ulver haven't made Black Metal for years and are now an experimental band that concentrate on Ethereal drones, Electronica and Film Soundtracks & Scores. My friend Daniel who's also in Guapo and Aethenor has joined Ulver for all the live shows and he's managed to get me a free ticket so i'm extremely lucky as i believe the show sold out months ago..
check out this interview with Garm from ULVER http://www.metalkult.com/videos/ulver-the-metalkult-interview/

No comments:

Post a Comment