Wednesday 21 October 2009

Eating my words.... What We All Come To Need


As I've grown older it's become too easy and quick to dismiss music that I "think" I just wouldn't like. Its a trait of being an older person with a "know-it-all attitude". I should really learn to remember what got me into music in the first place was to keep an open mind and be ready to embrace ANYTHING good.

Yesterday was a good example..
Quite frankly i'm really bored of post rock and have been for a few years. Too much structure and simply not enough substance.
Anyway i was surprised to see Southern Lord records signing instrumental rockers Pelican. In fact i know quite a few eyebrows were raised amongst people i know..

Lauren , a friend of mine that works at Southern/ SRD told me how good the Pelican album was when i last saw her. The whole fact that Pelican signed to SL and Lauren's recommendation (whom I trust) made me intrigued as to how this album would be any different.
I kindly had a copy of the album sent to me and i gotta say Ive been totally blown away with their latest offering "WHAT WE ALL COME TO NEED"
I can honestly say PELICAN havent really impressed me for a number of years and they seem to go round and round in circles churning out what i consider to be "not bad" albums - but really - releasing albums , for albums sake. This record however seems totally organic and is a record i've REALLY enjoyed listening to rather than putting up with in the back ground.

Most of all i think it shows how much of a great A&R man Greg Anderson is. (Southern Lord owner and 50% of Sunn 0))) )
Yet again Southern Lord show why they are still leading the way as an independent label. An inspired move that i hope put the doubters and old fucks like me in our place..

3 comments:

  1. I'll have to give that a listen as my attitude towards them has been much the same...

    ReplyDelete
  2. SL has hit paydirt with the Eagle Twin album for me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. pot calling the kettle black, listen to twilight sad you shitbag....
    spotify- cover that is a rip of of sonic youth- listen with your ears- high five me next time you see me

    ReplyDelete